In the fall, CM’s will winterize your system to protect it. We will backdrain and, using a compressor, blow out the system to reduce the likelihood of any damage over the winter. In addition, we will note any repairs or system changes that need to be made before next season’s operation. Below you will find a useful video and diagram for draining the interior of the sprinkler system, prior to our technician coming out to winterize the outside portion of the system.
Sprinkler Winterization Instructions
- Close drain shut off valve (A)
- Place bucket under drain valve (B) and open drain valve
- VERY IMPORTANT - Close drain valve(B)
- Wait for CM’s to winterize system
- VERY IMPORTANT - After CM’s winterizes system, place bucket under drain valve (B) and open drain valve – do not forget to do this you might be surprised at the amount of water that drains from the system
- Close Drain Valve
- GREAT JOB! WE WILL SEE YOU IN THE SPRING.
Special Note: In some cases, you will only have a main shut-off valve inside the house (labeled A. on the diagram). In this situation, the only thing you need to do before CM's comes to winterize your system is close the main shut-off valve.
Sample images of backflow devices typically located on the outside of the house.
Irrigation Turn On
Each spring, CM’s will start up your system, running through the entire system to make sure that all the components are operating correctly. We will check the controller, making an initial setting if you would like us to. We will review the operation of the heads to make sure that they are in working order and adjusted properly.
Occasionally, clients prefer to set their sprinkler systems inside and out so they do not need to be home while our technicians go through and make the seasonal adjustment to the sprinkler heads. The sprinkler start-up process is outlined below.
Sprinkler Turn on Instructions-see diagram below
- Use a regular screwdriver to close the test ports (C). After closing the test ports the screws will be perpendicular to the pipe.
- Make sure that the #1 and #2 valves (D) are open or in the parallel position.
- Go inside house and locate drain valve (B). Make sure it is closed (perpendicular to pipe).
- Slowly open the shut valve (A) to the parallel position
- CM’s can now come out for a complete walkthrough for your sprinkler system.